News National

Fire brigade rescue deaf woman from smoke filled home

Chloe Stokes awoke to a house full of smoke after removing her cochlear implant for the night

Friday 14 July
Fire brigade rescue deaf woman from smoke filled home

Editor - July 14 at 07:00

A deaf mother who was woken up by firefighters rushing her and her daughter out of a smoke-filled home thanked the emergency services for rescuing them. Chloe Stoakes arose to plumes of thick black smoke after an abandoned hob had been left on overnight.
Firefighters and neighbours had banged on the door but Ms Stoakes, 46, cannot hear during the night because she removes her cochlear implant. Crews had no choice but to break into the house in Mayfield Drive, Caversham, and rescue the unaware duo. Ms Stoakes said: "I was woken up this (Tuesday) morning by firemen and paramedics as my house was full of smoke due to a pan being left on. "When they woke me I thought it was my cat as she usually paws me awake around 6am, so I kept turning away. "When I did realise I had no idea if house was still on fire or anything I as couldn't hear until I put my cochlear implant in."
Ms Stoakes' fire alarms were not properly fitted. Luckily, a neighbour had noticed smoke billowing from the semi-detached home and called the emergency services. "The neighbours were banging on the window before they called fire brigade," Ms Stoakes continued. "I feel very very lucky as it could have been much worse if it wasn't for them. "I would like to raise awareness on deafness and fire safety as people can get caught out anywhere. "I once worked in a nursing home and first I knew there was a fire safety exercise was when I saw a fireman in a mirror in the loo- everyone else had been evacuated "There are specialist devices available now but not everyone is aware of these particularly if your not involved in the Deaf community."
Firefighters ushered Ms Stoakes and her 18-year-old daughter Chloe out of the house shortly before 6.30am. A spokesman for Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "As no one was responding when they banged on the door, firefighters had to get inside the house using an extension ladder through a window. "In the kitchen they found food had been left cooking on the hob so they removed the pans and switched off the power. "A neighbour dialled 999 to alert firefighters after they smelled burning coming from the house next door. There was a smoke alarm in the property but it had been incorrectly fitted so did not activate. "Fortunately the damage was limited to the pan, and mother and daughter were uninjured."
Source:Reading Chronicle


shock Decision by owner to close the

Israeli philanthropist donates to help

A number of cold callers in Kent are

New start up in Lebanon launches apps in USA

National Theatre will provide glasses with

de Montfort launches video to explain the

Charity workers not guaranteed hours

Man loses five figure sum

Kidknapped acquaintance and hacked up her

Cuts hit disabled people hardest

Rider raises funds for BTA

Developed by Scottish Sensory Centre