News Local

Deaf man who attacked police officer to be detained at hospital


Tuesday 19 April
Deaf man who attacked police officer to be detained at hospital

- April 19 at 11:30

A man who attacked a police officer after catching a train to Lincolnshire is to be detained at Rampton after a judge made him the subject of a hospital order.

Aaron Johnson, 26, left the officer with a cut to his left ear and two chipped teeth after striking him to the head at Grantham railway station.

Lincoln Crown Court heard Johnson, who is originally from London, posed a serious risk of the harm to the public if he was not treated.

Following his arrest Johnson, who is profoundly deaf, was moved from prison to Rampton Hospital after staff became concerned about his behaviour.

He was examined by a psychiatrist at Rampton but refused to give any details of his family.

The court heard police had been sent to meet Johnson at Grantham railway station after reports he was being abusive on a train. Johnson had taken a train to Lincolnshire following a two day crime spree in East London, the court was told.

Chris Geeson, prosecuting, said Johnson managed to escape from the police officer who was sent to meet him at the train station after scaling a 12 feet high fence. The officer required dental treatment valued at £400 following the assault on him.

Geeson told the court that following his escape Johnson carried out a commercial burglary. The court heard Johnson stole an iPad from an office drawer after gaining entry to the Marshalls Show Room by breaking a window.

Johnson, of no fixed address, made no comment when he was interviewed by police. He later admitted assaulting a police officer and one charge of burglary on July 19 and 20, 2015.

Michael Cranmer-Brown, mitigating, told the court Johnson was profoundly deaf and firmly believed he did not suffer from any mental illness.

The court heard since his arrest Johnson had been a resident at Rampton Hospital where he was examined by a psychiatrist who was sure he suffered from a mental illness and posed a high risk of serious harm to others.

Passing sentence Judge Michael Heath said it was plain Johnson suffered from a mental disorder.

The judge made him the subject of a hospital order which means he will be detained at Rampton Hospital.

Photo caption: Lincoln Crown Court inside Lincoln Castle
Photo credit: The Lincolnite   

Article source: The Lincolnite